GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS equipment advice
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:42 pm 
normal user

I need a recommendation on equipment... i'm a novice to GPS & living in a foreign country (china) i want to mark all the locations in my travel & work then download to a permanent map on my computer...

any suggestions?

thanks

CB

Post subject: Re: GPS equipment advice
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:17 pm 
normal user

CB consumer grade GPS receivers record data as points (waypoints) and lines (tracklogs). Both types of data can easily be transferred to a computer using readily available software. The data can then be overlaid on maps or just presented as a simple plot on a blank background.

We need to know how many points and your budget to better help you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 pm 
normal user

thanks for the quick reply...

i have used the GPS feature on my phone but it's not accurate... i was getting the lat / lon readings & then posting them on a google maps page... so i thought i would get a hand held device that was accurate... how many points? i'm guessing 500+ my budget? i don't know maybe $400 to $500 dollars?? will that work?

thanks

CB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:54 am 
normal user

CB a budget GPS will allow you to save 500 waypoints and transfer them to GoogleEarth. The Garmin eTrex 10 (link) is a good start at the low end. For a PC there are freeware programs such as GPSTrackmaker (link) that will transfer the data to GoogleEarth. There are probably Google map mashups that will also plot the data.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:10 pm 
normal user

When you say "but it's not accurate", how not accurate actually is it? A full GPS in a phone should have similar accuracy to most handhelds.

Now you be very carefull runing around China with a GPS full of coordinates :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:56 pm 
normal user

SatNav wrote:
When you say "but it's not accurate", how not accurate actually is it? A full GPS in a phone should have similar accuracy to most handhelds.

Now you be very carefull runing around China with a GPS full of coordinates :roll:

Good point! China would not be thrilled with someone running around with a GPS full of coordinates - it would make you look like a spy, especially if there were coordinates the government wasn't happy about.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 am 
normal user

crimsoncat wrote:
I need a recommendation on equipment... i'm a novice to GPS & living in a foreign country (china) i want to mark all the locations in my travel & work then download to a permanent map on my computer...

any suggestions?

thanks

CB

Hi

There are so many gadgets for GPS available in the market. Could just let me know your budget, because with such features, it'll be an expensive one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 am 
normal user

Yes, there are numerous amount of GPS devices available in the market. List down your basic requirements and your budget to determine the best GPS device for you. You may need GPS to work for some of your other needs too. So list it down.