GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:12 pm 
normal user

I am creating routes on a Maptech Chart navigator for nautical use. The chart navigator exports the files to a SD card in a .rxf format. On the other hand, my Garmin GPSMAP5008 cannot read this format. So it needs to be converted to a .gdb file. I would like to learn if somebody knows a program that does this conversion. :D Thank you for suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:37 pm 
normal user

GPSBabel supports the MapTech Exchange Format (mxf) (link) but not rxf. It does say that the mxf is a CSV format file (Comma Separated Values). If the rxf is the same (try opening it in NotePad - if it's CSV it will be in plain text) it should be possible to convert it. Also the page I've linked to lists a few other programs you could try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:36 pm 
normal user

Dornaus

I found some software that will convert Maptech rxf route files into Garmin gdb files. It is G7ToWin and is located at URL

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm

I tested it and the conversion seem to be clean. Would you mind doing a conversion with it and see if the created gdb file is compatible with your 5000 series unit. I am interested because I have just gotten a Garmin 4208 that I have not installed and have been wrestling how I was going to read files put on an SD card by Memory Map on my PC into my 4208. Thanks

DaveM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 pm 
normal user

DaveM

Thank you for the link and I will try it out and tell you if it worked.

So far what I have done is to connect a Garmin 76S GPS device to my notebook with the Maptech chart navigator and transferred the routes into it from the Chart navigator after configuring the GPS unit ( there are several Garmin device options in the Maptech chart navigator menu). Then I used my Garmin Mapsource program (also installed in the notebook ) to read the routes from the very same Garmin 76S and transferred it to a SD card. You will have to download the latest version of the Mapsource navigator from Garmin for this. It worked wonderfully. All the file conversions are done automatically and I ended up with a .gdb route file on the SD card.

The Garmin device I connected to the notebook is a nice floating, battery driven and waterproof back-up system that I can use in the boat also if the installed chartplotter does not work for some reason.

Good luck
Dornaus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am 
normal user

All, Just wanted to confirm I can also now move MapTech created Routes to my newer GPS unit GPSMap 545s by sending the routes to my Garmin GPS 76 first. Since the 76 interface is Serial, I purchased a serial to USB cable and software from Radio Shack and after playing with the ports, was able to communicate and make transfers. Next I used Garmin MapSource to input the route info from the GPS 76. HOWEVER, I was using an older version of MapSource Version 4. and this would not see my SD card. Using the Update option under "Help", it would not update. I went to the following site
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209
and downloaded the 6.15.6 update to my desktop then installed. Now my MapSource sees my SD card and can transfer routes to it. NOTE: It's important to place the SD card in the GPS using you want to use FIRST so it is set for that model. I plan to try this on my older large (10") Chartplotter very soon. Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:36 am 
normal user

All, In order to tansfer routes and waypoints,from a computer to a SD card that was previously correctly placed into the destination Garmin Unit to be prepared for transfers and made readable, one has to use the transfer button ( transfer to ) from the menu bar of the Mapsource program. If you try to save the routes with the save button to the SD card, the Garmin unit will not be able to read it. Only if you use the transfer option. Once you click the transfer button, the program finds the SD card as if it were a connected Garmin GPS unit and allows the transfer data. When making the transfers of the data, make sure the option maps is not selected, only waypoints and routes, otherwise there is the risk to erase the map data in the destination unit.