GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:48 pm 
normal user

Recently, my friend and I each purchased a 60CSx. We loaded Ver. 2.60 firmware on our units. Both 60CSx units have malfunctioned. His has been getting ± 80-90' location inaccuracies. Mine started showing a blank dashed line ("_ _ _ _ _ ft.") in the "Max. Elev." field. I recalibrated the altitude several times to no avail. Although I was at altitudes ranging from sea level to <300 feet, the Track Profile showed altitudes as low as -4,921 feet and as high as 98,422 feet! A "Max. Elev." finally showed after I used the "Reset..." command. However, the next time I used my unit, the above problems recurred. Garmin gave both of us RMA numbers, and our receivers are in shipment to Garmin for repair/replacement. We don't know if the above malfunctions are due to hardware or firmware faults. We hope that our problems will be permanently fixed

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Thanks.

TracknDQ

P.S. I found this thread, "60csx Elevation, Anyone ever get elevation '------' ???," in the Groundspeak forum:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=129478

Apparently, LOTS of folks have had elevation problems with the 60CSx GPSr.

TracknDQ :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:50 pm 
Yep, I've had the problem.

Getting more frequent too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm 
normal user

I have owned - still do -twelve garmin GPS receivers. Several have had minor bugs fixed by software downloads. However the 60CSx is in a class of its own. It fails to tell me my elevation; all I get is "-----". True, if I switch off and on I will temporarily get my elevation, but a few minutes later and it is back to "----".

How Garmin can launch a receiver that behaves like this is beyond me (a web search shows there are scores of other 60CSx owners with the same problem). My solution is to go back to my 60CS (though it lacks the SIRFIII sensitivity). Actually the best solution is to go with a Magellan XL which is almost as sensitive as the CSx and has large screen more easily read in daylight that the Garmin. For European users it has the added advantage that - unlike Garmin - it already works with EGNOS.

I wouldn't advice anyone to buy a 60CSx until this very serious problem is solved. We surely have a right to expect that any GPS will tell us latitude, longitude and elevation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:00 pm 
Alan Walton wrote:
I have owned - still do -twelve garmin GPS receivers. Several have had minor bugs fixed by software downloads. However the 60CSx is in a class of its own. It fails to tell me my elevation; all I get is "-----". True, if I switch off and on I will temporarily get my elevation, but a few minutes later and it is back to "----".

How Garmin can launch a receiver that behaves like this is beyond me (a web search shows there are scores of other 60CSx owners with the same problem). My solution is to go back to my 60CS (though it lacks the SIRFIII sensitivity). Actually the best solution is to go with a Magellan XL which is almost as sensitive as the CSx and has large screen more easily read in daylight that the Garmin. For European users it has the added advantage that - unlike Garmin - it already works with EGNOS.
i own a 76csx and will let you know if it happends to it trapper

I wouldn't advice anyone to buy a 60CSx until this very serious problem is solved. We surely have a right to expect that any GPS will tell us latitude, longitude and elevation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:28 pm 
normal user

I own a Map 76CSx and I have seen the same problem 2-3 times. After a reset, the altitude is presented accurately and may stay accurate for the rest of the day. Some days it works fine and others I see this ________ displayed until I do another reset. I'll be interested to see what the fix turns out to be. It appears the problem is with both the 60CSx and the 76CSx units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:39 pm 
normal user

update, I have been monitoring my MAP76CSx closley for the last few days. So far the altimeter has been working fine with no jumps to exessively high or low altitudes. Alll I did was to reset my track log and altimeter and calibrate it to the GPS altitude. Since then, it has not shown the problem I was seeing earlier. I'll post again if I see the problem resurface.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm 
normal user

So I have a different track malfunction. I set the track log on a record interval of 5 seconds and walked several roads to map them. After each separate road I saved, then cleared the entire active log. Garmin says tracks are simplified when saved from the active log, but it should still record 500 points. When I uploaded the data (to ExpertGPS) I found that there are some stretchs of 700m where no coordinates were recorded. In one 2.79km stretch, the track consists of 15 points.
I think that the problem doesn´t come from simplification in the saving process because when taking the track, the screen often showed a straight line while I was walking a curve using the active log.

Ideas? How do I fix this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 pm 
normal user

nebughey I'd suggest not saving the tracks on the GPS but instead downloading the entire original tracklog to your PC then editing it as desired.