GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:07 pm 
normal user

My girlfriend is going to Eastern Europe and there are no good maps for our Garmin device in the country she is going to. Can she use a GPS without the local map software just to find her way back to her hotel? She will be moving through the Ukraine with various stops and would like to be able to go out into a town and walk about, but be able to find her way back to the hotel. I assume that she could just turn on the "Tracks" feature when she leaves the hotel for the day and follow the trail back to her starting point when she wants to return. Of course, there would be no street data or POI data on the map. I assume it would just show a blank background with her trail.

Thoughts on this idea?

Has anyone ever done this before?

Thank in advance for any help!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:18 pm 
normal user

Hi and welcome to the forums. The GPS will work as you have described with tracks (plot on a blank background) Your girlfriend could also create a waypoint for her hotel to give it a recognizable icon on the plot.

As a precaution I would suggest that she check that GPS are allowed in the Ukraine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:10 pm 
normal user

Hope she didn't left allready, but from OpenStreetMaps there is also a routable worldmap available which contains also the Ukraine.
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Don't think it covers all of the Ukraine but something is better then nothing, in this case.

It only works on Garmin gps recievers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:01 pm 
normal user

@ the moderators, when you remove spam, can you keep some of it, so reply's like the one from SatNav above make sence?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:45 am 
normal user

Jacob,

That's probably my fault and my "reply" should be removed along with the spam as there is nothing worse than some wack continously creating multiple user names every second day and crapping on about absolute rubbish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:55 am 
normal user

In this case it was me not paying enough attention and a bit of unfortunate timing. I noticed that the same user had made 8 posts which all said pretty much the same thing with no thought to context or usefulness. At the end of my browsing I did a delete all (including the user) but satnav had responded to one during the time gap. I will try to be a bit more careful in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am 
normal user

Jacob wrote:
Hope she didn't left allready, but from OpenStreetMaps there is also a routable worldmap available which contains also the Ukraine.
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Don't think it covers all of the Ukraine but something is better then nothing, in this case.

It only works on Garmin gps recievers.

Thanks Jacob. This is really cool. Although it can't be used everywhere it is quite helpful.
Can you tell me which are the supported locations?

Top Car GPS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am 
normal user

You can see it on the Openstreetmap map when you zoom in, and it's getting beter every day, although the link I posted before isn't updated for a month now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 am 
normal user

Since your girlfriend is traveling to Europe, you could consider the Garmin Nuvi 2559LMT: https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nuvi-2559LMT.aspxIt comes preloaded with maps of North America and Europe and you receive Free lifetime map updates. Also, this device has myTrends, which helps predict your route and gives inputs of traffic flow.