GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 pm 
normal user

Hello to everyone on the site. I guess I'm the newest member who need all kind of help and everyone dreads trying to teach :oops: . I want to thank each of you up front and apologize for the small insignificant questions I am getting ready to ask. I have owned a few Garmin handheld over the years. I primarily use the unit during Elk season in Colorado. I also use it sporadically here in Virginia. Last year I decided to down load The ONXMaps Hunt App to my Android Phone. I was absolutely amazed at how well it worked and the amount of detail far surpassed any handheld I have ever had. Only one problem, when it lost cell service it lost the mapping and came close to making me a little nervous. Really bad feeling, I guess that's a well know fact amongst all you people but I unfortunately learned it the hard way. I have since then learned I can save maps to the phone and use them when no cell service is available. For whatever reason I have decided to purchase the Garmin Montana 610 and I received it today. Now, I guess I am somewhat of a penny pincher so I'm looking for a recommendation as to where I can find 24k contours with tons of landmarks, trails, streets etc., that will come the closest to comparing to the ONXMaps I have on my phone. FREE would be nice. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am 
normal user

I would start at gpsfiledepot.com for a good variety of maps.
Also http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/usa-osm-topo-routable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:49 am 
normal user

Allory, I want to thank you for the help with my question. I went to the recommended site and with a little help from my IT guy at work we were able to download the information. Iv not really figured it out yet but the site has contours that look to be about 100ft intervals. unfortunately they are not close enough to really read the terrain. I need to be a little bit more precise in order to walk efficiently and not have to continuously back track due to cliffs etc. Once again I appreciate your response very much. If anyone else has a recommendation I will absolutely take a look. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 am 
normal user

Did you try either of these?

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/197/
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/162/

I've used the equivalent maps for hunting in Wyoming with good results.