GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:03 am 
normal user

Recently Garmin introduced the Communicator Plugin software and Geocaching.com uses this to allow you to download geocaches directly from your web browser to a Garmin GPS. At present Geocaching.com restricts to one cache at a time.

Garmin has introduced Go Geocaching on it's website which allows you to search for caches using a GoogleMaps interface and download multiple caches at once.
Quote:
You can start here at a site Garmin has created that allows you to search thousands of geocaches and load them directly to your Garmin device. You must create a myGarmin account to use this feature.

Just tried this out and it worked fine with my 76C over a USB connection. It also included any additional (child) waypoints in the download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:12 pm 
normal user

I wnet there last night off this post and picked my nephew up at midnight for a "treasure" hunt is what my sister told him. As from previous posts you'll all know I have a Rino 530 for hunting coming. When doing the comparison shopping I see some offer geocaching modes but last night I was able to find all the caches using my current GPS. Now get ready. A pharos BT unit that shipped with M$ Street & Trips 2006!! Nephew held the Pharos unit while I followed on the PDA. The Lat/Lon I added as a pocket PC map after putting the coodinates in the software. I have two questions.

1. What is the benefeit of the geocaching option that some Garmin's have and others don't? Looks like you just put in the lat/lon and your off.

2. Can you install waypoints on M$ Street & Trips map on a Garmin product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:26 pm 
normal user

jaxstraww wrote:
1. What is the benefit of the geocaching option that some Garmin's have and others don't? Looks like you just put in the lat/lon and your off.

Geocaching mode treats geocache waypoints separately allowing you to mark the cache as found and automatically show the next nearest cache.
Quote:
Not sure what you're asking here. You cannot use the S&T maps on any GPS. If you create "pushpins" on a S&T map there are 3rd party software options to transfer them as waypoints to your Garmin GPS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:31 pm 
normal user

Chinook wrote:
jaxstraww wrote:
Not sure what you're asking here. You cannot use the S&T maps on any GPS. If you create "pushpins" on a S&T map there are 3rd party software options to transfer them as waypoints to your Garmin GPS

That's what I'm looking to do. ON the M$ map I put pushpins at each coodinate and then sent the map to pocket S&Trips. I guess I would like to push pin on a S&T map and then upload to the 530. You have a link on a thrird party app that can do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 pm 
normal user

Various Freeware for Streets & Trips and AutoRoute on the GPSPassion forums which has a lot of S&T related information.