GPS Information.net Forum >

Questions and Answers about GPS Technology and Equipment
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 am 
normal user

I have a feeling this question will go unanswered and I understand why. The GPSMAP 4208 is a brand new marine gps network chart plotter just released by Garmin. I'll give it a shot anyhow.

I created a route on my pc at home using mapsource, the file was saved as a ".gdb" file onto a blank sd card. I brought the sd card to my boat and plugged it into the 4208. The unit did not recognize the file and so I was unable to upload the route to the 4208. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks, Richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:19 am 
normal user

... a shot in the dark...

aren't routes normally uploaded via the USB connection?

exposing my ignorance here... can waypoints/routes be uploaded via storage cards? I thought they were mostly for maps.. athough I did read somewhere that tracks can be saved from the unit to the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:18 am 
normal user

USB would be impossible, this is a marine chart plotter (GPSMAP4208), there is no usb connection, the unit is installed on the bridge of a boat.

Richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:38 am 
normal user

I have not done this on one of the newer units using SD cards, but I have transferred track/routes/waypoints on older marine units using a Garmin Data Card.

In MapSource, the "Send to Device" dialog box recognizes a Garmin Data Card as a compatible device to save this data to. This is different from copying the Garmin file (.gdb or .mps) to a card.

With an SD card, MapSource will allow only maps to be saved directly, not tracks/routes/waypoints. The answer may be for you to save your MapSource data in the .GPX format, then copy that file to the SD card.

On the plotter's menu, there should be a tab for data card exchange, or something to that effect. There may be checkboxes for routes, waypoints, and tracks, as well as an option to merge or replace data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:30 pm 
normal user

CBX,
Your reply sounds feasable, however I found this in the Mapsource help menu, it's not the answer I wanted to hear.

>>Data can be transferred in a variety of methods, as shown in the list below:
---To a Secure Digital (SD) Card or to a Garmin cf Que in a Pocket PC, or to the unit's internal memory. You can transfer maps, waypoints, and tracks; route transfer is not supported at this time.<<

My unit accepts the SD card only. Looks like I'm out of luck and this is a brand new unit.

Richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:09 pm 
normal user

Here's something to try. I don't know if it would work with your unit, but it works with others.

Save the file as a GPX in MapSource to your SD card, then see if the unit will allow you to import the data from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:38 am 
normal user

Hmmm... I downloaded the manual for the 4208, and it only mentions the creation of waypoints and routes on the unit. I can't imagine Garmin producing a unit capable of storing 1500 waypoints and 20 routes of 250 waypoints each, without some method for backup and transfer.

In "Messages and Alarms" there are multiple references to user data transfer, including "No Routes Found - no routes found while attempting a user data transfer".

Page 31 describes transfering waypoints/routes/tracks to or from an SD card or over the network. No mention of a PC or MapSource, though.

Maybe you could try saving data to the SD card in the chartplotter, then see if it's a recognizable format on a PC.

It may be time for a call to Garmin support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:06 am 
normal user

CBX
"It may be time for a call to Garmin support."

I e-mailed them and here is their response>>You can use MapSource to transfer waypoint and route data to the new units on a SD Card. To do this the SD Card has to be formatted by the GPS unit. (Place the card in the unit and turn the unit on, once the unit is at the main menu remove the card) MapSource needs to be at version 6.12.3. When MapSource writes to the SD Card this data will be placed in a folder named \Garmin\UserData. The file name the data is in is named UserData.ADM<<

Problem is my MapSource is version 6.12.2.
Under the Help menu when I select "Check For Software Updates" it returns the following message, " There are no software updates currently available." I e-mailed them back and asked "how can I update to ver. 6.12.3 ?"

richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:43 am 
normal user

download from garmin ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 am 
normal user

There is a link near the top of this page for the free update to MapSource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:42 pm 
normal user

Thanks for the link, got the newest version now.

O.K. After creating a route using MapSource do I save it to my PC and use the transfer option in mapsource to transfer it to the SD card, or do I save it directly to the SD card, also do I save the file as a .gdb or a .gpx file ?

richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 pm 
normal user

Now I'm wingin' it here, but try this.

Insert the card into your chartplotter, which should format it and create a folder called Garmin. Next, insert the card in a reader on your PC, and MapSource should recognize it as a compatible device. Running MapSource, you should be able to "send to device" your waypoint/route user data.

If I can recall where I saw this method mentioned, I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:26 am 
normal user

CBX wrote:
Now I'm wingin' it here, but try this.

Insert the card into your chartplotter, which should format it and create a folder called Garmin. Next, insert the card in a reader on your PC, and MapSource should recognize it as a compatible device. Running MapSource, you should be able to "send to device" your waypoint/route user data..

wow. This stuff is NOT in the owners manual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 pm 
normal user

>>Now I'm wingin' it here, but try this. <<

Pretty damn good "wingin it". It works. Thanks CBX for working with me on this. Problem Solved.

Richie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 am 
normal user

Cheers! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 am 
normal user

Richie, Did you actually get a userdate.adm file to read or write on a pc with garmin waypoint data? I have mapsource 6.12.4 and it does not recognize the .adm filetype. Brian

Update: Thanks to Ritchie's encouragment I got this to work fine. Since Mapsource is easily downloaded from Garmin and is free that is not an obstacle.

What I was finally after was to move all of my routes and waypoints from my Nobeltec VNS V8 to the 545 via SD and by using the GPS Utility program [found here: http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ ] I was able to read the Nobeltec .txt export files and write them to Mapource via .gpx format then via SD card to the 545s. The GPS Utility program is freeware for small routes and $55 US for the full version - which is what I needed.

So, net net, Nobeltec and other formats to and from the new Garmin SD format is doable - albeit in two steps. Brian

Last edited by bstronger on Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 pm 
normal user

so... I just bought a new Garmin GPS/chartplotter (GPSMAP 440s)... am I understanding correctly that the Garmin has made it so that the only way I can view/use/modify/add/edit/etc. content for routes, waypoints, etc is by purchasing THEIR MapSource software? Without MapSource, my device might as well have no card slot at all? I can't use GPSVisualizer or any other software to read their data? I think I'm already regretting switching from Magellan to Garmin...